[Python-Dev] Performance of various marshallers

Shilad Sen shilad@sourcelight.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:12:43 -0500 (CDT)

>From Paul:

> That's fine with me. If your simplified parser turns out to be
> significantly faster than Expat (too early to say) then you could even
> keep it around as an option when the client and the server are both
> known to be using the same subset of XML.

That's exactly what I intended to do.

> Did you consider wrapping one of the existing XML-RPC libraries written
> in C? When we needed a reentrant XML-RPC library for PHP, we wrapped
> Eric Kidd's xmlrpc-c.

I actually seriously considered using Eric Kidd's library.  We have a
need for an event model that would have been pretty painful to support
through the w3c libraries, and that is what made me decide to use my own.
My event system is very similar to medusa's, while w3c's system is quite
a bit more heavyweight.

After spending some time with the w3c libraries, I also decided I really
didn't feel great about the general coding style of the libraries.  Thats
my own personal preference.  I could definitely be persuaded otherwise.

Shilad