[Python-Dev] Integrating Expat

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:23:59 -0400

Fredrik Lundh writes:
 > I thought MvL had already volunteered to do this?

  I didn't state this was a huge issue or that it didn't have a nice
solution.  ;-)  It also isn't something that happens all that often,
given that I don't have a lot of time to make Expat releases.

 > cannot fix bugs if nobody bothers to report them ;-)
 >
 > (the crash issue appears to be a rumour; there was a bug when
 > running in SGML mode, but that was fixed long ago.  people using
 > the current release in real-life applications haven't reported any
 > stability problems...)

  Glad to hear this!  Perhaps someone (not implying you) should
start writing a substantial test suite for it to ferret out any
remaining bugs?  I don't see a test_sgmlop.py in the PyXML package; if
you already have something perhaps you could contribute it?  It might
help you unload maintenance if anyone does manage to find a bug.

 > on the other hand, sgmlop itself will never be anything but a "fast
 > but sloppy" XML tokenizer.  if you risk running into xml compliance
 > nazis <0.1 wink>, you shouldn't use it.

  "Nazi" would not have been my word for it, but ... Wham!  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation