[Python-Dev] Re: Change to sys.path[0] for Python 2.3

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:57:15 -0500

Tommy 'Too Many Stances' Burnette wrote:

> As little as I like it, we have lots and lots of code here that
> depends on chdir to find modules for importing.  If you were to make
> this change (and I suspect you won't because it might break lots of
> code, but for argument's sake...) would having an explicit '.'
> somewhere in sys.path still work after a chdir?

My current thinking is that "" and "." on sys.path
need to work after a chdir.  So you could still
chdir and import from the new current directory.

Harder is the question of whether 'Path/To/Lib' should
work after a chdir.  It is a relative path, but
not simply "" nor ".".

Don't panic, I am not changing anything until we all
decide what we want.

JimA