[Python-Dev] reload() et al. (Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:37:42 +0100

Thomas Heller wrote:

> From: "Just van Rossum" <just@letterror.com>
> > M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> > > While it seems like a nice idea to update code which is already in
> > > use, I think that this leads down the wrong track. Sooner or
> > > later you'll end up with a complete mess in memory ;-) And depending
> > > on what code you exchange, this can cause serious problems: e.g.
> > > pickled data could become unusable, parts of the system would
> > > suddenly stop working because of e.g. a name change in one of the APIs,
> > > etc.
> >
> > I don't see "enhanced reloading" as a way to modify long running processes, but
> > a way to shorten the development cycle.
>
> That's exactly what I had in mind.
>
> More and more I hear complaints from people, that even a C++ program
> can be changed while running in the debugger (under certain circumstances),
> so why not Python?

The same is possible in Python's pdb, BTW. Anyway, my reply was
more targetted in the direction of: "ok, this is nice to have as a
hack during development, but doesn't solve any longstanding problems
like e.g. unloading of modules". It's still a cool module -- perhaps
you could also make it work for complete packages ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH