[Python-Dev] __class_init__

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:24:03 +0100

    >> [__class_init__]

    Tim> [Guido said] ...  "The right way" is to define a custom metaclass
    Tim> instead (whose __init__ plays the role __class_init__ would have
    Tim> played if defined in the class).  It makes sense to me, but I'll
    Tim> have to play with it to be convinced it's as usable.

For those of us with next to no ExtensionClass experience, I think it would
be helpful to describe what __class_init__ does.  I saw it there in the
PyGtk 2.x wrappers before JamesH converted to new-style classes.  I had no
idea what it did (and blissfully ignored it) and James apparently didn't
need any similar functionality after the conversion.

Thx,

Skip