[Python-Dev] Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:59:14 -0500

    PR> Umm, that was a contrived example so might not be very
    PR> sensible.  For a more realistic one I think I'll pass the
    PR> question on to Eric.  I think Eric did mention his difficulty
    PR> with SciPy here:

    PR> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-November/071794.html

I'm not wholly unsympathetic to the problem, but I'm trying to give
some pushback because of just the reason Michel gives.  Even though I
can think of my own cool uses of an "acquisitional import", I think
Python should be really careful here.  One of the deep problems with
implicit acquisition is that you often don't know where something
really comes from.  I'm worried that building this into the import
mechanism will make it harder to figure out where something comes
from.  Explicit is better than implicit.

But having said all that, it's clear to me that we've mined this vein
enough on the list.  It's PEP time!

-Barry