[Python-Dev] One more dict trick

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 31 May 2001 12:45:33 +0200

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 04:43:32AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg <mal@lemburg.com>:

> > In any case, this will avoid use the trouble of having to check
> > those poly numbers every time Intel decides to bump the register
> > width by another factor of two ;-)

> This seems unlikely.

Why ? Bumping register size doesn't mean Intel expects to use it all as
address space. They could be used for video-processing, or to represent a
modest range of rationals <wink>, or to help core 'net routers deal with
those nasty IPv6 addresses. I'm sure cryptomunchers would like bigger
registers as well.

Oh wait... I get it! You were trying to get yourself in the historybooks as
the guy that said "64 bits ought to be enough for everyone" :-)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>