[Python-Dev] %b format?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 18:38:33 -0400

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
> Vyper's octal notation is still ugly, but whoever first thought
>
>     0777 != 777
>
> was a "good idea" was certifiably insane <0.25 wink>.

For anyone who doesn't know the history behind this...

The 0xxx notation was copied from PDP-11 assembler literals -- the
instruction-set design of the PDP-11 was such that most of the
instruction subfields fit in octal digits, so this convention made it
somewhat easier to read machine-code dumps.

While I'm at it, I should note that the design of the 11 was ancestral
to both the 8088 and 68000 microprocessors, and thus to essentially
every new general-purpose computer designed in the last fifteen years.

"Are we to understand," asked the judge, "that you hold your own interests
above the interests of the public?"

"I hold that such a question can never arise except in a society of cannibals."
	-- Ayn Rand