[Python-Dev] APR (was: IPv6)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 24 May 2001 13:07:43 -0700

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:58:24AM -0500, skip@pobox.com wrote:

>     >> > It currently supports: Unix (includes BeOS), Win32 and OS/2.
>     >>
>     >> A lot more than that :-) Pretty much all the Unix variants, including
>     >> OS/390 and BS2000 and MacOS X, and TPF, and some other oddballs.
>
>     Michael> That's still less than Python isn't it?  RiscOS, Amiga, PalmOS,
>     Michael> VMS, Playstation 2(!),
>
> Not to mention MacOS < X... ;-)

As I mentioned, MacOS X is already there. MacOS Classic is not.

But the presence of a portability library such as APR does not exclude the
use of direct platform hooks where/when necessary. For a bunch of stuff, you
use APR [to reduce complexity/maintenance]. For the rest, you go native just
like today.

Cheers,
-g

--