[Python-Dev] APR (was: IPv6)

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:02:34 +0100 (BST)

I can't think of a good way of expressing this, but I don't think we
should try to make writing non cross-platform code in Python impossible.
Yes, it should be easy to write x-platform code, but if there's some very
specific platform trick I can do with, say, setsockopt, I don't want
Python to hide it from me just 'cause it doesn't work on VMS.

Maybe this isn't an issue here.

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
[...]
> That doc is out of date; the list is missing: shared library handling, i18n,
> mmap, user information access (e.g. getpwnam), uuid handling, getopt
> replacements, cryptographic random data, and a few other bits here and
> there. The shared mem actually is implemented mostly, via the libmm library.

How big is APR?  How stable?  (in terms of interface; I'm assuming it
doesn't crap out through bad programming or it'd be a non-starter)

> And note that some of those topics have some nice depth. As I mentioned,
> network_io supports IPv6, but also portable name lookups, sendfile(), etc.
> The file_io stuff support optimized stat() and opendir-type calls for the
> platform.
>
> > It currently supports: Unix (includes BeOS), Win32 and OS/2.
>
> A lot more than that :-)  Pretty much all the Unix variants, including
> OS/390 and BS2000 and MacOS X, and TPF, and some other oddballs.

That's still less than Python isn't it?  RiscOS, Amiga, PalmOS, VMS,
Playstation 2(!), from looking at
http://www.python.org/download/download_other.html.

Cheers,
M.