[Python-Dev] IPv6

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:22:42 +0200

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     GS>   Toss out a ton of the platform-specific stuff in Python and
>     GS> use the Apache Portable Runtime (APR). It has IPv6 in it, but
>     GS> it could also help with loading shared libraries, threading,
>     GS> mmap'd files, sockets, etc.
>
> I don't know squat about APR, but would it have to be either-or?  IOW,
> would it be possible to wrap the APR in a module (or package) and
> provide it as an importable alternative?

Should be possible; the problem is: how do you get the APR types
to interact with the original Python ones (e.g. file types). Many
low-level Python functions require the native Python types, so
while wrapping APR as Python module would provide an alternative, that
alternative will most probably not help much w/r to simplifying
portability issues.

FYI, here's what the APR has to offer (taken from the APRDesign
file that comes with Apache 2.0 beta):
"""
The base types in APR
file_io     File I/O, including pipes
lib         A portable library originally used in Apache.  This contains
            memory management, tables, and arrays.
locks       Mutex and reader/writer locks
misc        Any APR type which doesn't have any other place to belong
network_io  Network I/O
shmem       Shared Memory (Not currently implemented)
signal      Asynchronous Signals
threadproc  Threads and Processes
time        Time
"""

It currently supports: Unix (includes BeOS), Win32 and OS/2.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH