[Python-Dev] CygWin and Tkinter

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Wed, 9 May 2001 22:06:15 -0400

Mike,

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:01:20PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I am playing around with CygWin (which came with Pyhton 2.1
> > installed).  While I can run command line programs, Tkinter is not
> > part of the package.  TCL/TK is installed and I have been able to
> > build TK GUI's.  How can I get Tkinter added to my Python package?
> > Thanks.
>
> Beats me.  Ask whoever produces the CygWin port.

I am the Cygwin Python maintainer.  Please see the following for my
views on adding Tkinter support to Cygwin Python:

If Tkinter support is important to you, then please submit the appropriate
patches for consideration to the Python Patch Manager on SourceForge.

Norman Vine has built a Cygwin Python that supports Tkinter.  See the
following for his build procedure:

    http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/python/

Perhaps you would like to collaborate with Norman on this effort?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235