[Python-Dev] RE: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Modules stropmodule.c,2.76,2.77

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Wed, 9 May 2001 21:08:58 -0400

On 09 May 2001, Guido van Rossum said:
> In my mind, strop is obsolete.  We keep it around because some losers
> like to import it directly, but it's basically dead, and except for a
> few functions, string.py doesn't use it any more.  (The exceptions are
> maketrans, lowercase, uppercase, whitespace.)

Perhaps 2.2 should deprecate direct use of strop noisily -- warn when
imported, except when imported by string.py.  (No idea how you'd
implement that, I'm just spouting off.)  Then it could go away in 2.3.

I don't think there's anything particularly controversial about 'strop'
going away after one release with a deprecation warning -- it's not
'string', after all!  (Ie. imported by every single scrap of Python code
ever written before string methods came along, and by quite a lot since
then.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - nerd                                        gward@python.net