[Python-Dev] RE: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Python compile.c,2.198,2.199

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 9 May 2001 04:20:12 -0400

[Neil Schemenauer]
> Shouldn't the entry in the __future__ file be:
>
>   nested_scopes = _Feature((2, 1, 0, "beta", 1), (2, 2, 0, "alpha", 0))
>
> or am I misunderstanding something?

Until nested_scopes *is* the rule, the Mandatory Release field is just a
guess about the future.  Changing it to (2, 2, 0, "alpha", 0) right *now*
would be wrong, since it would change it from a guess about the future to a
false statement about the present.  It must be changed when nested_scopes
become mandatory; it needn't be changed before then (unless we delay making
them mandatory beyond 2.2 final), although if somebody thinks they have a
good use for moving the guess up, fine, just so long as they don't move the
guess to or before 2.2a0.