[Python-Dev] Recent change to termios module breaks build on FreeBSD

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
08 May 2001 23:27:59 +0100

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:

> Michael Hudson writes:
>  > If you don't include termio.h the build breaks on alpha/OSF1.  This
>  > sounds to me like OSF1's headers are broken (you can't include
>  > sys/ioctl.h without including termio.h first, it seems, or you get
>  > complaints about struct termio being undefined).  So I'd suggest
>  >
>  > +#ifdef __osf__
>  >  #include <termio.h>
>  > +#endif
>  >
>  > and then see if the build breaks anywhere else (I love unix).
>
>   Does it make more sense to do this or to test for termio.h in
> configure?

If you're asking *me*, I have no idea.  I'd hope that no system would
be as broken as osf1 is in this regard, but then I'd have hoped that
osf1 wasn't this broken too...

I guess the test in configure is "safer" in some sense.  Getting this
perfectly right would probably require more autoconf hackery than one
can possibly imagine... ncurses generates an amk script from
./configure that is then run to produce term.h, but I'm not sure that
all of that is devoted to including the right headers.

can-we-just-have-TERMIOS-back?-ly y'rs
M.

--
  Good? Bad? Strap him into the IETF-approved witch-dunking
  apparatus immediately!                        -- NTK now, 21/07/2000