[Python-Dev] Moving MacPython to sourceforge

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 08 May 2001 16:07:39 +0200

> I'd say merge, except that the number '1000' is very large. Is it really
> 1000 ? The current Python tree contains only 304 .c and .h files, about 1000
> .py files spread out over the tree (567 of which in Lib, the rest in
> Demo/Tools) and obviously some misc files and CVS stuff, for a total of
> around 2500 files. Is that 1000 a real number ? No temp files,
> auto-generated files, .o files etc ? How large are they ? (the average size
> in the current CVS tree is about 10k)

It's actually 830 files. This is 320 .py files (130 in Lib, the rest in
Tools/scripts/etc) 120 .c/.h files, 110 XML and exp files (for the build
system), 30 resource files and then assorted things (html documentation,
scripts to drive the distribution builder, etc).

The .xml and .exp files and about 20 of the .c files are machine generated, so
they could technically be left out of the repository. The generation process
of these files is a bit painful, though, so I've added them as a convenience
(the reasoning is a bit along the lines of the Grammar stuff of the core).

The one thing that I should do is clean out the "Unsupported" directory before
doing the merge. It contains some stuff that is long dead. But then, it isn't
all that many files.