[Python-Dev] Moving MacPython to sourceforge

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 8 May 2001 14:10:00 +0200

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:39:43AM +0200, Jack Jansen wrote:

> The Mac specific stuff for Python is all concentrated in a single subtree Mac
> of the main Python tree (the subtree has its own hierarchy of
> Python/Modules/Lib/etc directories), so putting it in the main repository
> should not pollute the filenamespace all that much. It would also have the
> advantage that a single "cvs update" would update everything (whereas the
> current situation for Mac developers, where Python/Mac is from a different
> CVSROOT than Python, does not have that advantage). The downside is that
> everyone who does a full checkout of the tree would get an extra 1000 or so
> files on their disk that are pretty useless unless they have a mac.

I'd say merge, except that the number '1000' is very large. Is it really
1000 ? The current Python tree contains only 304 .c and .h files, about 1000
.py files spread out over the tree (567 of which in Lib, the rest in
Demo/Tools) and obviously some misc files and CVS stuff, for a total of
around 2500 files. Is that 1000 a real number ? No temp files,
auto-generated files, .o files etc ? How large are they ? (the average size
in the current CVS tree is about 10k)

I'd probably still say 'merge', I'm just curious where the large number of
files comes from. Is it to keep the changes to the original files minimal ?
Given the number of platform-dependant #ifdefs and differently-defined
macro's we're using now, I don't see why some of those changes couldn't be
moved into the original files, if that's the case.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>