[Python-Dev] Moving MacPython to sourceforge

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 07 May 2001 11:39:43 +0200

Folks,
now that there's finally a decent (well, somewhat decent:-) Mac CVS client
that supports ssh I'd like to move MacPython to sourceforge. There's two ways
I can go about this: start a new MacPython project or merge the MacPython
stuff into the main Python CVS repository.

The Mac specific stuff for Python is all concentrated in a single subtree Mac
of the main Python tree (the subtree has its own hierarchy of
Python/Modules/Lib/etc directories), so putting it in the main repository
should not pollute the filenamespace all that much. It would also have the
advantage that a single "cvs update" would update everything (whereas the
current situation for Mac developers, where Python/Mac is from a different
CVSROOT than Python, does not have that advantage). The downside is that
everyone who does a full checkout of the tree would get an extra 1000 or so
files on their disk that are pretty useless unless they have a mac.

Oh yes, another plus for putting stuff in the main repository is MacOSX
support. Some MacPython modules have been "ported" to MacOSX, and I've started
on adding them to setup.py, and life would become a lot simpler for people
compiling on MacOSX if they had everything available automatically.
www.oratrix.nl/~jack    | ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/ ++++