[Python-Dev] Classes and Metaclasses in Smalltalk

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 07:15:57 -0500

> > If we can find a way to spell "super.method", we should be ready for
> > the future.  I can't think of something right off the bat
> > unfortunately.
>
> Could we make
>
>   super(self, MyBaseClass).foo(arg, ...)
>
> behave similar to
>
>   MyBaseClass.foo(self, arg, ...)
>
> Wrapping this stuff in a function would probably also
> enable to use the same pattern in existing python versions.

Yes, I can see how to write super() using current tools (or 1.5.2
even).  The problem is that this makes super calls even more wordy
than they already are!  I can't think of anything that wouldn't
require compiler support though.