[Python-Dev] Updated, shorter PEP 245

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:00:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

I have broken PEP 245 into two different PEPs, the first, which is now PEP
245, covers only the syntax and the changes to the Python language.  It is
much shorter and sweeter that the old one.

The second one, yet to have a number or to be totally polished off,
describes my proposed interface *model* based on the Zope interfaces work
and the previous incarnation of PEP 245.  This next PEP is totally
independent of PEP 245, and can be accepted or rejected independent of the
syntax if a different model is desired.

In fact, Amos Latteier has proposed to me a different, simpler, though
less functional model that would make an excellent alternative.  I'll
encourage him to formalize it.  Or would it be acceptable to offer two
possible models in the same PEP?

Finally, I forsee a third PEP to cover issues beyond the model, like type
checking, interface enforcement, and formalizing well-known python
"protocols" as interfaces.  That's a work for later consideration, that is
also independent of the previous two PEPs.

The *new* PEP 245 can be found at the following link:

http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/MyWiki/InterfacesPEP/PEP245.txt

Enjoy, and please feel free to comment.

-Michel