[Python-Dev] Re: Alleged deprecation of shutils

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:26:41 +0200

> > You say that now, but as such cross-system servers become more common,
> > we should expect the tools to deal with them well, rather than
> > complain "the other guy doesn't play by our rules".
>
> So, a goal for 2.2: getting moving/copying/deleting of files and
> directories working properly (ie. using native APIs) on all major
> supported platforms, with all the legwork that implies.

Well, if we want to support the case Guido sketches, a machine on one platform
being fileserver for another platform, things may well be bleak.

For instance, most Apple-fileservers for Unix will use the .HSResource
directory to store resource forks and the .HSancillary file to store mac
file-info, but not all do. I didn't try it yet, but from what I've read MacOSX
over NFS uses a different scheme.

But, all that said, if we look only at a single platform the basic
functionality of shutils should work. There's a Mac module (macostools) that
has most of the functionality, but of course not all, and it has some extra as
well, and not all names are the same (shutil compatibility wasn't a goal when
it was written).