Alleged deprecation of shutils (Re: [Python-Dev] Function in os module for available disk space, why)

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:53:02 +1200 (NZST)

pf@artcom-gmbh.de (Peter Funk):

> All current filemanagers on Linux (KDE kfm, Gnome gmc) are flawed
> in this respect.

I don't think you can call that a "flaw", given that these
filemanagers are only designed to deal with Unix file systems.

I think it's reasonable to only expect things in the platform
os module to deal with the platform's native file system.
Trying to anticipate how every platform's cross-platform
file servers for all other platforms are going to store their
data just isn't practical.