[Python-Dev] test_minidom crash

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 08:33:59 -0500

OK, here's what I've done.  I've done a new cvs export of the r21b2
tag, this time *without* specifying -kv.  I've tarred it up and
uploaded it to SF and python.org.  The new tarball is called
Python-2.1b2a.tgz to distinguish it from the broken one.  I've removed
the old, broken tarball, and added a note to the python.org/2.1/ page
about the new tarball.

Background:

"cvs export -kv" changes all CVS version insertions from "$Release:
1.9$" to "1.9".  (It affects other CVS inserts too.)  This is so that
the versions don't get changed when someone else incorporates it into
their own CVS tree, which used to be a common usage pattern.

The question is, should we bother to make the code robust under
releases with -kv or not?  I used to write code that dealt with the
fact that __version__ could be either "$Release: 1.9$" or "1.9", but
clearly that bit of arcane knowledge got lost.