[Python-Dev] Makefile woos..

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:13:26 +0100

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 09:57:53PM -0800, Dan Wolfe wrote:

> Question 1: I'm not geeky enough to understand why the '.3' get's
> removed.... is there a problem with the SED script? or did I overlook
> something?
> Question 2: I noticed that all the other versions are
> <OS><MajorRevision> also - is this intentional? or is this just a result
> of the bug in the SED script

I believe it's intentional. I'm pretty sure it'll break stuff if it's
changed, in any case. It relies on the convention that the OS release
numbers actually mean something: nothing serious changes when the minor
version number is upped, so there is no need to have a separate architecture
directory for it.

> If someone can help me understand what's going on here, I'll be glad to
> submit the patch to fix the fcntl module and a few others on Mac OS X.

Are you sure the 'darwin1' arch name is really the problem ? As long as you
have that directory, which should be filled by 'make Lib/plat-darwin1' and
by 'make install' (but not by 'make test', unfortunately) it shouldn't
matter.

(So my guess is: you're doing configure, make, make test, and the
plat-darwin1 directory isn't made then, so tests that rely (indirectly) on
it will fail. Try using 'make plat-darwin1' before 'make test'.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>