[Python-Dev] Sourceforge FAQ

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:49:22 -0500

[Pual]
>>>  3. My SF FAQ isn't there: how do I generate a diff that has a new file
>>>     as part of it?

[TIm]
>> "diff -c" <wink -- but I couldn't make much sense of this question>.

[Thomas]
> What Paul means is that he's added a new file to his tree, and
> wants to send in a patch that includes that file.

Ya, I picked that up after Martin explained it.  Best I could make out was
that Paul had written his own SF FAQ document and wanted to know how to
generate a diff that incorporated it as "a new file" into the existing SF
FAQ.  But then I've been severely sleep-deprived most of the last week
<0.zzzz wink>.

> - Don't use cvs diff. Use real diff instead. Something like this:
>
>   mv your tree asside, (can just mv your 'src' dir to
>                         'src.mypatch' or such)
>   cvs update -d,
>   make distclean in your old tree,
>   diff -crN --exclude=CVS src src.mypatch > mypatch.diff
>
> Scan your diff for bogus files, delete the sections by hand or if
> there are too many of them, add more --exclude options to your diff. I
> usually use '--exclude=".#*"' as well, and I forget what else.  By the
> away, for those who don't know it yet, an easy way to scan the patch is
> using 'diffstat'.
>
> Note that to *apply* a patch like that (one with a new file), you need a
> reasonably up-to-date GNU 'patch'.

I'm always amused that Unix users never allow the limitations of their tools
to convince them to do something obvious instead.

on-windows-you-just-tell-tim-to-change-the-installer<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim