[Python-Dev] PEP 6: Patch and Bug Fix Releases

Aahz Maruch aahz@pobox.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:44:05 -0800 (PST)

Thomas Wouters:

> [ How to get case-insensitive import fixed in 2.0.x ]
>
> Aahz:
>>
>> * Permit minor feature additions/changes.
>>
>> If we choose that last option, I believe a distinction should be drawn
>> between releases that contain only bugfixes and releases that contain a
>> bit more.
>
> We could make the distinction in the release notes. It could be a
> 'PURE BUGFIX RELEASE' or a 'FEATURE FIX RELEASE'. Bugfix releases just fix
> bugs, that is, wrong behaviour. feature fix releases fix misfeatures, like
> the case insensitive import issues. The difference between the two should be
> explained in the paragraph following the header, for *each* release. For
> example,

I shan't whine if BDFL vetoes it, but I think this info ought to be
encoded in the version number.  Other than that, it seems that we're
mostly quibbling over wording, and it doesn't matter much to me how we
do it; your suggestion is fine with me.
--
                      --- Aahz  <*>  (Copyright 2001 by aahz@pobox.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/