[Python-Dev] Re: Preparing 2.0.1

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:54:08 +0100

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 02:21:12PM -0800, Aahz Maruch wrote:

> I'm a little concerned that the 2.0 branch is being updated without a
> 2.0.1 target created, but it's quite possible my understanding of how
> this should work is faulty.

Probably (no offense intended) :) A maintenance branch was created together
with the release tag. A branch is a tag with an even number of dots. You can
either use cvs commit magic to commit a version to the branch, or you can
checkout a new tree or update a current tree with the branch-tag given in a
'-r' option. The tag then becomes sticky: if you run update again, it will
update against the branch files. If you commit, it will commit to the branch
files.

I keep the Mailman 2.0.x and 2.1 (head) branches in two different
directories, the 2.0-branch one checked out with:

cvs -d twouters@cvs.mailman.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/mailman co -r \
Release_2_0_1-branch mailman; mv mailman mailman-2.0.x

It makes for very administration between releases. The one time I tried to
automatically import patches between two branches, I fucked up Mailman 2.0.2
and Barry had to release 2.0.3 less than a week later ;)

When you have a maintenance branch and you want to make a release in it, you
simply update your tree to the current state of that branch, and tag all the
files with tag (in Mailman) Release_2_0_3. You can then check out
specifically those files (and not changes that arrived later) and make a
tarball/windows install out of them.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>