[Python-Dev] Preparing 2.0.1

Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:39:14 +0100

> > I'd be concerned about the "pure bugfix" nature of the current SRE
> > code base.
>
> well, unlike you, I wrote the code.

I am aware of that. My apologies if I suggested otherwise.

> it may sound weird, but I'd rather support people who rely on regular
> expressions working as documented...

That is not weird at all.

> > For the bugfix release, I'd feel much better if a clear set of pure
> > bug fixes were identified, along with a list of bugs they fix. So "no
> > new feature" would rule out "no new constant named MAGIC" (*).
>
> what makes you so sure that MAGIC wasn't introduced to deal with
> a bug report?  (hint: it was)

I am not sure. What was the bug report that caused its introduction?

> > If a "pure bugfix" happens to break something as well, we can atleast
> > find out what it fixed in return, and then probably find that the fix
> > justified the breakage.
>
> more work, and far fewer bugs fixed.  let's hope you have lots of
> volunteers lined up...

Nobody has asked *you* to do that work. If you think your time is
better spent in fixing existing bugs instead of back-porting the fixes
to 2.0 - there is nothing wrong with that at all. It all depends on
what the volunteers are willing to do.

Regards,
Martin