[Python-Dev] Re: [Stackless] comments on PEP 219

Samuele Pedroni Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:41:03 +0100 (MET)

Hi.

First of all I should admit I ignore what have been discussed
at IPC9 about Stackless Python.

My plain question (as jython developer): is there a real intention
to make python stackless in the short term (2.2, 2.3...)=0D?

AFAIK then for jython there are three option:
1 - Just don't care
2 - A major rewrite with performance issues (but AFAIK nobody has
  the resources for doing that)
3 - try to implement some of the highlevel offered features through threads
   (which could be pointless from a performance point of view:
     e.g. microthreads trough threads, not that nice).
    =20
The option are 3 just for the theoretical sake of compatibility=20
(I don't see the point to port python stackless based code to jython)
 or 1 plus some amount of frustration <wink>. Am I missing something?

The problem will be more serious if the std lib will begin to use
heavily the stackless features.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.