[Python-Dev] Re: [Stackless] comments on PEP 219

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:09:42 +1300 (NZDT)

> I'd probably have a worker thread (real) and the GUI thread (real).

If I have to use real threads to get my uthreads to work
properly, there doesn't seem to be much point in using
uthreads to begin with.

> you *have* to think about this stuff when you design a GUI...
> You can get into trouble with any of the techniques...
> not very long ago you had to be very careful simply to get
> TK and threads to coexist.

Microthreads should *free* one from all that nonsense. They
should be simple, straightforward, easy to use, and bulletproof.
Instead it seems they're going to be just as tricky to use
properly, only in different ways.

Oh, well, perhaps I'll take another look after a few more
releases and see if anything has improved.