[Python-Dev] Adding a Rational Type to Python

Moshe Zadka moshez@zadka.site.co.il
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:55:31 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Paul Prescod <paulp@ActiveState.com> wrote:

> Whether or not Python adopts rationals as the default number type, a
> rational() built-in would be a Good Thing. I'd like to see it in 2.1 or
> 2.2.

OK, how about this:

1. I remove the "literals" part from my PEP to another PEP
2. I add to rational() an ability to take strings, such as "1.3" and
   make rationals out of them

Does anyone have any objections to

a. doing that
b. the PEP that would result from 1+2
?

I even volunteer to code the first prototype.

--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,