[Python-Dev] Re: Bug fix releases

Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:48:33 -0600 (CST)

    aahz> Yup.  The idea is that because it's always an N and N-1 pair, the
    aahz> base code is the same for both and applying patches to both should
    aahz> be (relatively speaking) a small amount of extra work.  Most of
    aahz> the work lies in deciding *which* patches should go into N-1.

The only significant problem I see is making sure submitted patches contain
just bug fixes or new features and not a mixture of the two.

    aahz> The main reason I suggested two betas was to "lockstep" the bugfix
    aahz> release to the next version's feature release.

I don't see any real reason to sync them.  There's no particular reason I
can think of why you couldn't have 2.1.1, 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 releases before
2.2.0 is released and not have any bugfix release coincident with 2.2.0.
Presumably, any bug fixes between the release of 2.1.3 and 2.2.0 would also
appear in the feature branch.  As long as there was someone willing to
manage a particular bug fix branch, such a branch could continue for a
relatively long ways, long past the next feature release.

Skip