[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Tools/scripts pydoc,NONE,1.1

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:41:24 -0500

On 02 March 2001, Neil Schemenauer said:
> setup.py fix this by assigning sys.executable to $(prefix)/bin/python
> before installing.  I don't know if that would break anything
> else though.

That *should* work.  Don't think Distutils relies on
"os.path.exists(sys.executable)" anywhere....

...oops, may have spoken too soon: the byte-compilation code (in
distutils/util.py) spawns sys.executable.  So if byte-compilation is
done in the same run as installing scripts, you lose.  Fooey.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - just another /P(erl|ython)/ hacker          gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/