[Python-Dev] PEP 236: an alternative to the __future__ syntax

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:57:08 +0100

Guido wrote:
> There's one downside to the "directive" syntax: other tools that parse
> Python will have to be adapted.  The __future__ hack doesn't need
> that.

also:

- "from __future__" gives a clear indication that you're using
  a non-standard feature.  "directive" is too generic.

- everyone knows how to mentally parse from-import state-
  ments, and that they may have side effects.  nobody knows
  what "directive" does.

- pragmas suck.  we need much more discussion (and calender
  time) before adding a pragma-like directive to Python.

- "from __future__" makes me smile.  "directive" doesn't.

-1, for now.

Cheers /F