[Python-Dev] pydoc for CLI-less platforms

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:13:40 -0800 (PST)

For platforms without a command-line like Windows and Mac,
pydoc will probably be used most often as a web server.
The version in CVS right now runs the server invisibly in
the background.  I just added a little GUI to control it
but i don't have an available Windows platform to test on
right now.  If you happen to have a few minutes to spare
and Windows 9x/NT/2k or a Mac, i would really appreciate
if you could give

    http://www.lfw.org/python/pydoc.py

a quick whirl.  It is intended to be invoked on Windows
platforms eventually as pydoc.pyw, so ignore the DOS box
that appears and let me know if the GUI works and behaves
sensibly for you.  When it's okay, i'll check it in.

Many thanks,

-- ?!ng

Windows and Mac compatibility changes:
    handle both <function foo at 0x827a18> and <function foo at 005D7C80>
    normalize case of paths on sys.path to get rid of duplicates
    change 'localhost' to '127.0.0.1' (Mac likes this better)
    add a tiny GUI for stopping the web server