[Python-Dev] Support for "wide" Unicode characters

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

Paul Prescod wrote:
> Michael Hudson wrote:

>> As a Unicode Idiot (tm) can I please beg you to reconsider?  There are
>> so many possible meanings for "character" that I really think it's
>> best to avoid the word altogether.  Call Python characters "length 1
>> strings" or even "length 1 Python strings".
>
> Do you really feel that there are many possible meanings for the word
> "Python Unicode character?" This is a PEP: I have to assume a certain
> degree of common understanding.

After reading Michael's and MA's arguments, I'm +1 on making the change
they're requesting.  But what really triggered my posting this was your
use of the phrase "common understanding"; IME, Python's "explicit is
better than implicit" rule is truly critical in documentation.
Particularly if "character" has been deprecated in standard Unicode
documentation, I think sticking to a common vocabulary makes more sense.
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

I don't really mind a person having the last whine, but I do mind someone
else having the last self-righteous whine.