[Python-Dev] Python Specializing Compiler

Samuele Pedroni Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:51:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi.

[Armin Rigo]
> Why it is related to Psyco: the current treatment of globals/builtins makes
> it hard for Psyco to statically tell what function we are calling when it
> sees e.g. "len(a)" in the code. We would at least need some help from the
> interpreter; at least hooks called when the module's globals() dictionary
> change. The above proposal might provide a more uniform solution.

FYI, a different proposal for opt. globals access
by Jeremy Hylton. It seems, it would break fewer things ...
don't know whether it can be as useful for Psyco:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-May/014995.html

In any case I think Psyco will need notification support from the interpreter
about dynamic changes to things that Psyco honestly assumes to be invariant
in order to achieve performance.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.