[Python-Dev] Python Specializing Compiler

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 12:54:27 +0200

Armin Rigo wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Jeff Epler wrote:
> > What are you using to generate code?
>
> I am generating pseudo-code, which is interpreted by a C module. (With
> real assembler code, it would of course be much faster, but it was just
> simpler for the moment.)
>
> >  How would you compare the
> > sophistication of your type inference system to the one I've outlined
> > above?
>
> Yours is much more complete, but runs statically. Mine works at run-time.
> As explained in detail in the readme file, my plan is not to make a
> "compiler" in the usual sense. I actually have no type inferences; I just
> collect at run time what types are used at what places, and generate (and
> possibly modify) the generated code according to that information.

Sound like you are using (re)compiling on-the-fly -- that would
certainly be a very reasonable way to deal with Python's dynamic
object world. It would also solve the problems of static compilers
with type inference nicely.

A very nice idea !

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg