[Python-Dev] Python Specializing Compiler

Samuele Pedroni Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:59:40 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi. Just after reading the README,

it's very intriguing and interesting,
(if I remember well this resemble the customization approach of the
Self VM compiler)

ideally it could evolve in a loadable extension, that then works
together with the normal interp (unchanged up to offering some hooks*)
in a trasparent way for the user ... emitting native code for
the major platforms or just specialized bytecodes.

I will give a serious look at it.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.

*: some possible useful hooks would be:
- minimal profiling support in order to specialize only things called often
- feedback for dynamic changing of methods, class hierarchy, ... if we want
to optimize method lookup (which would make sense)
- a mixed fixed slots/dict layout for instances.