[Python-Dev] Python & GCC 3.0

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:28:14 +0200

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> Daniel Berlin writes:
>  > Except, I bet you didn't use one of the "optimize for a given cpu"
>  > switches.
>
>   No, I hadn't.  My main interest was in the GCC team's claim that the
> generated code was faster.  Compiling with "make OPT='-mcpu=i686 -O3'"
> did not make much difference at all.
>
> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > Note that if you really want to see a speedup for x86 boxes then
>  > you should take a look at PGCC, the Pentium GCC compiler group:
>  >
>  >      http://www.goof.com/pcg/
>  >
>  > You can then adjust the compiler to various x86 CPUs and
>  > take advantage of some special optimizations they have intergrated
>  > into 2.95.2.1.
>
>   If they have any improved optimizations for recent x86 chips, I'd
> like to see them folded into GCC.  I'd hate to see another egcs-style
> split.
>   It doesn't look like I can just download a single source package
> from them and wait 3 hours for it to build, so I won't plan on
> pursuing this further.

Oh, it's fairly easy to get a pgcc compiler: all you have to
do is apply their small set of patches to the gcc source
before compiling it.

And then you should set your OPT environment variable to e.g.

	OPT="-g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -mcpu=k6"

This will cause the pgcc compiler to use these settings in
pretty much all compiles you ever do without having to
think about it every time.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH