[Python-Dev] Adding Asian codecs to the core

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:14:04 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > > Good idea.
> >
> > All in favour?
>
> +1, as long as they're not in the CVS subtree that's normally
> extracted for a regular source distribution.  I propose this location
> in the CVS tree:
>
>   python/dist/encodings/...
>
> (So 'encodings' would be a sibling of 'src', which has been pretty
> lonely ever since I started using CVS. ;-)

Ok. When Tamito has completed his work on the codecs (he is currently
reimplementing them in C), I'll check them in under the new directory.

BTW, how should we ship these codecs ?

I'd propose to provide a distutils setup.py file which wraps up
all codecs under encodings and can be used to create a standard
Python add-on "Python-X.X Encoding Add-on".

The generated files should then ideally be published right next
to the Python source/binary links on the python.org web-pages to
achieve high visibility.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH