[Python-Dev] Shouldn't I be able to print Unicode objects?

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:03:20 +0200

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:42:40AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> still, it's funny sometimes how pydevs are willing to break perfectly
> valid code in some areas while not considering pointing users to clean up
> invalid code in other areas.

Well, I consider myself one of the more backward-oriented people on py-dev
(or at least a vocal member of that sub-group ;) and I don't think changing
int et al to be types/class-constructors is a problem. People who rely on
int being a *function*, rather than being a callable, are either writing a
python-specific script, a quick hack, or really, really know what they are
getting into.

I'm also not terribly worried about the use of non-ASCII characters in
identifiers in Python, though a warning for the next one or two releases
would be a good thing -- if anything, it should warn that that trick won't
work for people with different locale settings!

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>