[Python-Dev] Re: What happened to Idle's extend.py?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 17:03:35 -0400

> > Idle-0.3, shipped with Python 1.5.2 had an extend.py module that was
> > used to extend Idle. We've used this extensively, building entire
> > "applications" as Idle extensions.
> >
> > Now that we're moving to Python 2.1, we find the same old directions
> > for extending Idle (in extend.txt), but there appears to be no
> > extend.py in Idle-0.8.
> >
> > Does anyone know how we can add extensions to Idle-0.8?

It's simpler than before.

Extensions are now loaded simply by being named in config.txt (or any
of the other custom configuration files).  For example, ZoomHeight.py
is a very simple extension; it is loaded because of the line

  [ZoomHeight]

somewhere in config.txt.  The interface for extensions is the same as
before; ZoomHeight.py hasn't changed since 1999.

I'll update extend.txt.

Can someone forward this to the original asker of the question, or to
the list where it was posted?