[Python-Dev] %b format? - 8088 like a PDP-11 I think not...

Barry Scott barry@scottb.demon.co.uk
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 19:00:05 +0100

Eric wrote:
> While I'm at it, I should note that the design of the 11 was ancestral
> to both the 8088 and 68000 microprocessors, and thus to essentially
> every new general-purpose computer designed in the last fifteen years.

The key to PDP-11 and VAX was lots of registers all a like and rich
addressing modes for the instructions.

The 8088 is very far from this design, its owes its design more to
4004 then the PDP-11.

However the 68000 is the closer, but not as nice to program as
there are too many special cases in its instruction set for my liking.

		BArry