[Python-Dev] another dict crasher

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:03:55 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     MH> segfaults both 2.1 and current (well, maybe a day old) CVS.
>     MH> Haven't tried Tim's latest patch, but I don't believe that
>     MH> will make any difference.
>
> That is highly, highly nasty.

Yes.

> Sounds to me like there ought to be an emergency 2.1.1 patch made for
> this, bumping Thomas's work to 2.1.2 if necessary.

Really?  Two mild counterpoints:

1) It's *old*; 1.5.2 at least, and that's only because that's the oldest
   version I happen to have lying around.  It's quite similar to the
   test_mutants oddness in some ways.
2) There's at least one other crasher in 2.1; the one in the compiler
   where a variable is referenced in a class and in a contained method.
   (I've actually run into that one).

But a "fix these crashers" release seems reasonable if there's someone
with the time to put it out (not me!).

> And if we can trojan in the NAIPL (New And Improved Python
> License), I wouldn't mind. :)

Well me neither...

Cheers,
M.