[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:59:41 -0400

Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Things Python would bring to this party: our serious-cool GC, our
> > C extension/embedding system (*much* nicer than XS).  Things Perl would
> > bring: blazingly fast regexps, taint, flexitypes, references.
>
> I don't really understand the motivation.  Do we want any of those things?

No, but we want to be able to interoperate with Perl and have if possible
have just one back end on which efforts to do things like native code
compilation can be concentrated.

The common argument that crime is caused by poverty is a kind of
slander on the poor.
	-- H. L. Mencken