[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:02:25 -0500

I was thinking a little about a Python/Perl VM merge.  One problem I imagine
would be difficult to reconcile is the subtle difference in semantics of
various basic types.  Consider the various bits of Python's (proposed)
number system that Perl might not have (or want): rationals, automatic
promotion from machine ints to longs, complex numbers.  These may not work
well with Perl's semantics.  What about exceptions?  Do Python and Perl have
similar notions of what exceptional conditions exist?

Skip