[Python-Dev] PyOS_snprintf() / PyOS_vsnprintf()

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:28:39 +0200

Just to let you know and to initiate some cross-platform
testing:

While working on the warning patch for modsupport.c,
I've added two new APIs which hopefully make it easier for Python
to switch to buffer overflow safe [v]snprintf() APIs for error
reporting et al.

The two new APIs are PyOS_snprintf() and
PyOS_vsnprintf() and work just like the standard ones in many
C libs. On platforms which have snprintf(), the native APIs are used,
on all other an emulation with snprintf() tries to do its best.

Please try them out on your platform. If all goes well, I think
we should replace all sprintf() (without the n in the name)
with these new safer APIs.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg