[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Nathan Torkington gnat@oreilly.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:12:04 -0700

Thomas Wouters writes:
> Also, the Perl engine has some features SRE hasn't, yet, and vice
> versa (last I checked, Perl's regexps didn't do unicode or named
> groups.)

Perl's REs now do Unicode.  Perl 6's REs will do named groups.

> And I won't even start with Perl's more archaic features, that
> change the whole working of the interpreter.

Those are going away.  Perl people hate them as much as you do--the
only time they're used now is to make deliberately hideous code, and
hardly anyone will seriously lament the passing of that ability.  No
more "change the starting position for subscripts", no more "change
all RE matches globally", and so on.

Nat