[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:06:24 -0400

Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@zope.com>:
> What is a type ontology?  The definition of ontology I'm familiar with
> is too broad to be useful in understanding what you're getting at.
> I've never heard the technical term "type ontology".

I first heard it in connection with cross-language RPC.  The "type ontology"
of a language or protocol is its implicit theory of what kinds of things
there are in the universe.  It's actually a pretty reasonable specialization
of the term "ontology" in philosophy.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing
which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety,
is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made
and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
	-- John Stuart Mill, writing on the U.S. Civil War in 1862